Admissions Open for 2018-2019
Register Now

Do I need a study permit to study in Canada?

Most students need a study permit to study in Canada, but there are some exceptions.

How do I find out about schools, colleges, universities or other educational institutions in Canada?

Canada offers a wide range of opportunities for foreign students. For more information on choosing a school, college or universities, visit HGG.

How do I apply to study in Canada?

You must have a letter of acceptance from a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada before you can apply for a study permit.

In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. You can apply at the Canadian visa office responsible for your country. To find out more, visit HGG.

When should I apply for my study permit?

You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution. The time needed to process an application to study in Canada may be different at various visa offices.

How do I apply for a temporary resident visa?

If you need a temporary resident visa in addition to your study permit, you do not need to submit a separate application or pay an additional fee when you apply for your study permit at a visa office.

What is a temporary resident visa?

A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Depending on your citizenship, you may need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

How do I pay the fee for a study permit?

You must pay a processing fee with your application. The fee will not be refunded, even if your application is refused.

How do I renew my study permit while I am in Canada?

If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies?

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • A valid passport or travel documents
  • A valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and
  • A valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.